Opkey's Web Recorder is an integrated utility that lets users record actions on web applications to create automated test cases in Opkey.
Creating a test case manually is a slow and difficult process. Thus, it's important to have a recorder that can automatically record your actions and generate test cases for you.
For example, if you're testing a login page, you can record actions like entering your user credentials and clicking the sign-in button. The recorder will generate an automated test case that can be used to test the login functionality of the application.
Let's understand how to start the Recorder in Opkey.
1. Hover over the 'Automate' section in the left panel and click the Test option from the available option.
2. In the Test dashboard, click on the +Create Test button and select Automated Test case.
Now add the name of your test case, assign its priority, select an assignee, and Give a description.
Upload an attachment if required and click on the Create button.
3. Click on the 'Record’ button at the top of the Test Case.
4. A window will open up with recorders for web, mobile, desktop, and various ERP applications. Select any recorder and click the Start Recording button to open the Recorder with a default browser window.
5. In the default browser, you can enter the URL of the test page or application and begin recording.
Understanding Features of Opkey Recorder
The Opkey Recorder has two tabs at the top:
1. Record & Playback
On the right is a dropdown button showing options to select a particular type of recorder.
Record & Playback
The Record and Playback section has a toolbar at the top with various icons to perform different actions. Let's go through them from left to right.
1. REC: This icon is at the extreme left of the toolbar. You can click on this to play or pause the recording of steps.
2. Save and Close: Next is the Save and Close icon to save the recorded test steps and close the recorder.
3. Add Step (+): This icon lets you add a new test step by hand in the recorder window for playback. You can add any step you want and use the playback button to test it before saving it to the test case.
4. Edit and Delete icons: You can use these icons to select and edit or delete any step in the recorder window.
5. Step Up and Down icon: You can use these icons to move any selected step up or down in the recorder window.
6. Capture Image and Open Browser Window icon: The capture image icon is used to capture any image and create a new object associated with it. The Open Browser Window icon opens a new browser window where you can enter a test URL and take actions to record steps.
Next are the playback control icons of the Recorder. Let's go through them one by one:
1. Play & Pause icon: This icon is used to start or pause the playback of recorded actions. As a tester, you can playback the recorded steps before saving them in the test case. This helps in identifying any error in the recorded steps before saving it in the test case.
2. Stop Playback icon: Click this icon to stop the playback of recorded steps.
3. Download Opkey Light Agent: To use the playback feature, you must download and install the on your device. You can click this icon to download the Opkey Light Agent installation file.
Other Features in the Recording & Playback Tab
1. You can enter your test application URL in the search box below the Recorder toolbar to open it in the browser window.
2. The recorded steps are shown in this window. You can select any step and use the action buttons in the toolbar to add, edit, delete, save, or move up or down.
3. Below the steps are the objects associated with the steps. The objects are shown with the Attribute and their values in separate columns.
Using Spy Mode of the Recorder
Spy is an advanced feature of the recorder that enables you to spy on the desired object and fetch its properties.
In Spy mode, hold ALT and hover over the desired object to fetch and display its properties in the recorder's bottom pane. You can add the fetched object directly to a step or the object repository by clicking the Add Object icon. The name of the object will be shown in the box beside the Add Object icon.
To add an object to a step, choose an action from the dropdown and click the Add Step icon. Using 'Add Step' adds the object to the current recording session exclusively.
So, this is all about the Opkey Recorder. Once done with the recording, you can click the Stop & Save icon. A pop-up window opens. Click Yes to save the recorded Steps.
You've reached the end of this article and are now well-prepared to use the Opkey Recorder.
Ready to dive deeper?
Was this article helpful?
Thank you for your feedback
Sorry! We couldn't be helpful
Thank you for your feedback
We appreciate your effort and will try to fix the article